Hi, it's been awhile.
I posted this on wrx already, but I thought it would serve well here. I have had this Ginty Driver gathering rot in a shed for a long time and thought I'd make an attempt at it. In the beginning the club looked like this:
Not a tremendously inspiring start. The good news was there was no cracking in the neck and the damage to the would did not penetrate beneath the surface. So I could begin the attempt at a restoration.
I proceeded in the usual fashion. Stripping the clear finish off and then the stain below it. I did, however, attempt to protect the crown decal as well as I could.
Next, I took a piece of black ABS plastic from a local plastics supply house and cut a piece to size:
Then I needed to sand, sand, and sand some more to get that insert to match the clubface. While the sole plate was off I took the time to polish it up as well.
The insert began to take shape and I proceeded to the staining of the club
After some polyurethane and rewhipping, I had a finished product:
Not too displeased with that result, although I lost a bit of the decal and the reused whipping is not the prettiest. At the end of the day I think I have a playable club, and that was really what I was hoping for from the outset.